electrical testing

Why Electrical Safety Inspections are a Requirement for Landlords


As a landlord, you have the responsibility of ensuring the homes or offices you rent out are safe for your tenants and comply with all health and safety standards.

This means that landlords must ensure the electrical installation is safe before tenants move in. This includes demonstrating that all electrical equipment, such as kettles, toasters and washing machines have CE marking.

PAT testing is not a legal requirement for portable electrical equipment, but it is advisable for rented properties as it ensures that everything has been tested and shown to be safe.

Although having an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) or Electrical Safety Inspection Certificate is not a legal requirement for single-occupancy properties, obtaining one is the easiest means of guaranteeing that the electrics are safe for tenants at the beginning and during their tenancy.

However, for a House of Multiple Occupancy (HMO), an EICR is a legal requirement with additional checks every five years.

An EICR test checks for any deterioration in the electrics and ensures the quality of the electrical installation coincides with BS7671 requirements. The test can identify any circuitry issues, any risks of electric shocks or fire hazards, as well as any problems with bonding or earthing of the installation and any faulty electric work which could result in injury.

To carry out the test the engineer will have to disconnect the electric supply. Depending on the size of the property the EICR test can take a few hours to a couple of weeks to complete but to limit disruption this can be carried out in stages.

Here at EJS Electrical, we take your safety and that of your tenants very seriously. Therefore, we provide Electrical Safety Inspections, including PAT testing, by experienced engineers providing you with the certification required. To book in an inspection please call the team at EJS Electrical today.
Electrician conducting electrical wiring inspection

Is a full re-wire needed for your home?

00Latest news

In the modern world we rely heavily on electricity in our homes and offices, but don’t often think about its maintenance unless something goes wrong and we find ourselves sitting in the dark.

However, it is a good idea to compare electrical health to your car. Every year you take your car for a service, rather than just fire-fighting and taking it into the garage when it breaks down. Electrical safety also needs to be addressed before a problem occurs.

However, when there are electrical problems, not only can you be without lights but it could be potentially dangerous and can cause electrical fires.

For the majority of electrical problems, repairs are needed rather than a full re-wire of the property. However, the latter is sometimes the safest option.

If your electrical wiring is rubber insulated then you need to have a full re-wire as this form of electrical wiring hasn’t been used since the 1960s, some 60 years ago. Generally, you should consider a full re-wire if the electrics are more than 25 years old.

However, there are some other signs that a re-wire might be required. Constantly tripping RCDs, blown fuses, flickering lights, hot electrical sockets, buzzing noise from electrical sockets or if electric stops working in one part of the property.

If you have just moved into a new property it is a good idea to get a professional Electrical Test and Inspection. This is the only way you will know if there are any hidden electrical problems.

For this, an electrician will check all the wiring in the home and will inform you whether a re-wire is necessary.

It is, however, always better to be safe than sorry where electricity is concerned. If you think you may need a partial or a full re-wire of your home contact the experienced electricians at EJS Electrical and we will discuss what we can do to help you.